Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Sunday, Aug. 16 - Part 2


Sunday, Aug. 16 - Part 2

[the last post was semi-successful in that the first picture is enlargeable, but the others, alas, are not. I think it has to do with whether or not I move them around trying to get them aligned with the text.]


It was about a 2-hour drive from Fergus/Elora to the Niagra Falls KOA campground where I had decided to stay. There was a shuttle bus that came right by the campground which I took later (9:00 pm) this evening down to the Falls to see their nighttime illumination and a fireworks show at 10:00 pm. The top two photos are the first views I had of Niagra Falls from the Canadian side. Both are of what is called the "American Falls" (because they are on the American side). I didn't have a very good view of "Horseshoe Falls" at this time (which is the one on the Canadian side).

There were great masses of people gathered along the lookout point. It was hot and humid (even at 10 pm). You could hear people talking in every imaginable language (it is definitely a "tourist" destination). I felt like I was in Las Vegas or at the Del Mar County Fair at night --- lots of neon signs, noise, even a giant ferris wheel (but it is at least twice as big as the one at the Del Mar Fair).

Another thing I like about Niagra Falls, Canada, is that everything stays open until 2:00 am -- and this was on a Sunday night, no less --- a big change from the Amish country where NOTHING was open on Sunday at all, and stores and visitor attractions closed at 5:00 pm on weekdays. Now THIS is MY kind of town!


No comments:

Post a Comment